Monday, October 21, 2019

Testing Shapes of Pillars

We continued our study of testing materials and designs in Science today. 

Here was our testable question:

Will a triangular-shaped pillar support more mass than a rectangular or cylindrical shaped pillar?

Here are a few Hypotheses:

"I think the triangle will hold the most mass because I learned that a triangle is the strongest shape."
- Lawrence

"I think the square will hold more because they are very strong and have a lot of edges and corners."
- Emma

"I think the triangle will hold the most mass because I learned in grade 2 that most buildings have triangles on them."
- Sebastian

"I think the cylinder will hold more because there is just enough space and I think maybe it's good because it has round edges, which makes it easy to stay up."
- Magnolia

" I think the triangle will hold the most mass because they use triangles to support the big structures in buildings."
- Kate

" I think that the triangle will hold more mass because almost all the bridges that I've seen have been held up by triangles."
- Jaycee

"I think the cylinder will hold more because it doesn't have edges, so it won't flatten out when you apply mass. "
- Levi